AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Why User is more then Session

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello All,

I want to know why total session is less then user.

Note I'm not using custom reporting, page wise reporting or hour wise reporting, I'm directly checking total traffic where user is more then session.

How google Analytic Calculate user and session

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why User is more then Session

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Riyaj,

Are you using segments or filters in your reports? In this case, you might take a look at [1] for clarification.

Christoph

[1] http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/05/23/google-analytics-users-two-calculations/

Re: Why User is more then Session

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Riyaj,

Not sure if it's applicable to you but you might be interested in this:

"Metric calculations: Sessions and New Users
It's possible for the value of the metric Sessions to be less than the value of New Users. The reason is that Sessions is not incremented in cases where a session only consists of non-interaction events. In contrast, New Users is always incremented when a new-user session occurs, even if the session only consists of non-interaction events."

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2731565?hl=en

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tommy,

I am a little bit confused about this sentence: Sessions is not incremented in cases where a session only consists of non-interaction events.

Based on my understanding, after 30 mins inactivity, if a person makes a non-interaction events, we won't see extra sessions. However, how can a new user make a non-interaction events at the beginning when he goes to the landing page? Whether Direct is the only case?

Thanks,

Zed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Frankly i Could not understand .. what is a session increment ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So confusing statement