Analytics
1.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Why Two Properties to solve redundant hostnames?

T G
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
T G
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

Just learning all this. I got a warning for a site that it had redundant host names and that I needed to select a preferred.

1 - In the search console I only had www.mydomain.com.

2 - So I created a mydomain.com

3 - I verified the domain

4 - I then selected the "Preferred" domain.

Question 1: Was this the proper procedure?

Question 2: Is it common to have two properties for each site (www and non-www)?

Question 3: There is really any reason to pay attention to messages that generate from the non preferred domain should there be? Because they SHOULD also be appearing in the preferred domain as it is only one site. Shouldn't they?

To me this doesn't seem efficient having extra clutter (as in a property) in the Search Engine Console.

Thanks! Hope I haven't rankled anyone to answer  - yet another - redundant hostname thread. Though I have not seen this circumstance in my searches.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author T G
February 2016

Re: Why Two Properties to solve redundant hostnames?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi TG :-)
Welcome to the Google Analytics Community.
For SEO and Tracking purposes www and non-www are not the same thing even though
they both usually serve the same content/pages.
For questions about following good SEO practices and using/configuring Google Search Console,
you are best to ask them on the Webmaster Central Help Forum which can be found here:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

Once the domains are setup properly in Search Console and any necessary htacess 301 redirects are setup etc.
Then it is important to make sure the correct website url is entered into the Google
Analytics Property Settings and View(s) Settings pages.

and that the Google Analytics Property is linked to the correct site in Search Console via 

the option at the bottom of the GA Property Settings page

If yo have further questions about analytics, pls post back

Thanks
Bronwyn :-)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author T G
February 2016

Re: Why Two Properties to solve redundant hostnames?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi TG :-)
Welcome to the Google Analytics Community.
For SEO and Tracking purposes www and non-www are not the same thing even though
they both usually serve the same content/pages.
For questions about following good SEO practices and using/configuring Google Search Console,
you are best to ask them on the Webmaster Central Help Forum which can be found here:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

Once the domains are setup properly in Search Console and any necessary htacess 301 redirects are setup etc.
Then it is important to make sure the correct website url is entered into the Google
Analytics Property Settings and View(s) Settings pages.

and that the Google Analytics Property is linked to the correct site in Search Console via 

the option at the bottom of the GA Property Settings page

If yo have further questions about analytics, pls post back

Thanks
Bronwyn :-)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here