Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Which Google Analytic report will help me check the conversion rate from trial users to paid users?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a free trial service and in Analytics has been set as Goal when someone signs up for the trial.

I have also set up the eCommerce to track all users who have completed a payment.

What should I set up to see which is the conversion rate from free trial to paid.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Which Google Analytic report will help me check the conversion rate from trial users to paid users?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I think you need a custom dimension where you store the information if the user has free trial. Then you can just check the eCom conversion rate for that segment

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

You'll need to have a signal of some kind to Google Analytics when someone transitions from trial - paid; is this the ecommerce transaction? i.e. the sequence looks like this: visit site > register for trial (goal sent) > (sometime later) > pay for service (ecommerce hit).

If that is the sequence then the difference between the goals and the payments should be your conversion rate. For example, 10 goals and 2 payments = 20% conversion rate. 

There will be a few things which will confuse this - for example, people who later cancel their paid service; your conversion rate will not reflect these people. Also, people who cancel the service while it is still a trial will skew the data, so you'd probably want to segment your data into people who register for trial, trial users who cancel, trial users who upgrade and paid users who cancel. Getting cancellation data into GA may or may not be tricky.

I'd advise also checking against your backend to check your signup figures in GA - GA should report within 10% of what the backend says.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"You'll need to have a signal of some kind to Google Analytics when someone transitions from trial - paid; is this the ecommerce transaction? i.e. the sequence looks like this: visit site > register for trial (goal sent) > (sometime later) > pay for service (ecommerce hit).

If that is the sequence then the difference between the goals and the payments should be your conversion rate. For example, 10 goals and 2 payments = 20% conversion rate. "

The thing is that not all the paid users had a free trial previously. So I don't think this is a best approach.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Could you please detail a little bit more?