Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Where to draw the line between design and analytics?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

I have defined a conversion on my site is when a client visits the "Contact Us" page, which hopefully translates into a phone call and an appointment.

In the interest of design, my phone number is actually included as part of the "masterpage" and thus appears on every page throughout the site.  Having said this, looking at the number of visits to the "Contact Us" page may not be entirely representative of the people who are visiting my site and seeking the phone number to book an appointment. (Because the visitor can see the phone number on any page)

I could remove the phone number and only have it on the "Contact Us" page, but this would not make good design sense in my opinion.  My question:  how is a situation like this best handled?  I believe it to be a matter of walking the line between a good design and one that completely caters to analytics reporting.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Where to draw the line between design and analytics?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You may want to investigate a third party call tracking integration solution (check the Google Analytics Partner Gallery for options).

The question isn't whether they visited the contact us page, it's whether they actually made a phone call after viewing your site (versus they got the number elsewhere). That won't come from traffic to the contact us page - you have to tie a particular visit to a specific call. Simple process change: ask all callers how they found you (old school). It's not web analytics - it's business analytics....

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, can you suggest any other areas in GA to focus on with a static, non-ecommerce site? In terms of gaining new business, I had thought seeing traffic to the "Contact Us" page would be a good measurement, but I see your points.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Although many would argue that returning visitors does not reflect the real number, it still provides an indication of how many people come back to your site - how many "followers" your brand has in a very broad sense. You can also look at the various page traffic, and get an idea of the products or topics of interest to your site visitors...and how that changes over time.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.