Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

What to do when you find PII?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

What are the appropriate steps to take when PII has been found in a Google Analytics Account?

This is the process I follow.

1. Take steps to stop future PII collection in the current account.

2. Set up a new Google Analytics Account, Property and View solely as a safeguarding measure in case the Account collecting PII is ever deleted or has significant data removed.

3. Continue to use the existing Account.

Is there anything anyone else does differently?

The reason I set up a new Account is because of the following: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795983?hl=en 

"Your Analytics account could be terminated and your data destroyed if you use any of this information."

What I find interesting in the sentence above is that it suggests to me that data is only potentially destroyed if you're caught USING PII and not necessarily collecting it.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Scott

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Scott, 

This is a complicated question with no easy answer. That being said without condoning the collection of Personal Identifying Information (whether accidental or through ignorance) what you're currently doing is the smart thing to do. Stop collecting any PII - immediately. Since you cannot filter or remove past data the smartest thing to do is exactly what you suggested. 

Best,

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks! This is helpful.