Analytics
1.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

What time do people enter my site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I just had a quick question. I can see what sources people are coming to my blog from (and their specific links), and I can see how long they spend on my site. But is there a place in Google analytics that shows me at what times people clicked through to get to my site?

For example, someone sees one of my Pinterest pins that links to my blog post on Fashion. They click on it and are sent to my website. At what time did they click through to get to my website? 8:30 PM? 8:35PM?

I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What time do people enter my site?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Yes, you can, but it might be a bit weird. A couple of possible ways:
In the Acquisition > All Traffic > Source/medium report, click into the source of interest, then set the secondary dimension to Minute. Click the Minute column to reorder the rows by the time.
Or, create a segment with the source you are interested in, then view the Audience > Overview report for a single day. You will see the chart has an Hourly option for the timescale.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your answer!

A few questions about the options.

For option one, when I follow the steps and right after I reorder the rows by time, it only gives me two numbers like 59, 58, 57, etc. not actual times like 8:59PM, 8:57PM, etc. Is there something else I must do?

Fro the second one, how do I create a segment with the source I am interested in? Sorry, I'm a bit challenged when it comes to understanding these things.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Oops...sorry. I originally was going to suggest using the minute index but dropped that reference as I typed. The minute index counts from 1 minute after midnight. Hard to translate into minutes, so in my mind, I dropped the 'index' part and forgot it's not much use without the Hour. A custom report would be a little better, using Hour, Minute, Source/Landing page, but you can't get it sorted in the order you want without exporting it into a spreadsheet. The Audience report does a nicer job of presenting it - not sure why the Acquisition reports don't offer the Hourly time option.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So let's say I wanted to take a specific link that people are clicking through from a social media post (in this case Pinterest), how would I put that into the custom report? And how would I set up a custom report in this instance? (I'm not quite sure what to put for Metric Group, Dimension Drilldowns, filters, or where to put the source/landing page, sorry again, I really am a bit challenged at all this). And is it necessary to transfer it to a spreadsheet to see what time people are clicking through?

Thanks again for the help!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Here is a link to a custom report (table format containing Social Network, Hour of Day, Minute, Landing Page, Entrances):
https://analytics.google.com/analytics/web/template?uid=XoO892puSVmAyXo1Xg_cvA

Once you have it in your account, you will have to enter Pinterest in the search box (upper right of the report table).