Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

What tge sampling technique on GA?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I've met notice of sample data from Custom Report GA. But I never know What the sampling technique that use on there? And what the measure that estimated? Total number or average/mean?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What tge sampling technique on GA?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Custom Reports typically do not use data sampling. Which essentially means they take a percentage of the data instead of ALL of your data you are trying to call. 

More on data sampling here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2637192?hl=en

Data sampling can happen in custom reports when you're querying high volume of data (Google does not specify what counts a high volume of data for Custom Reports).

If your Custom Report says "This report is based on [number]% of sessions." then the percentage shown is the percentage of the total data that is relevant to your report being displayed. 

So if it says "This report is based on 50% of sessions." it means it has pulled only 50% of your sessions because of the large amount of data. 

You can increase this percentage by clicking on the box above and moving the button to a higher precision - although this will not give you all 100% of your data. 

analytics-higherprecision.png

To avoid this try querying a shorter time period.

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If that, a number (ex: pageview) which resulted of that process is total of only used data, isn't it? Or that can used as estimation of all large data, can't that?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

It's a percentage of "sessions". 

What is a session: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2731565?hl=en

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’