Analytics
2.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

What's the best way to create a segment that picks sessions that didn't perform an internal search?

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Google Analytics' pre-defined 'Performed Site Search' segment is defined with 'Search Term: does not match regex ""^$|^\(not set\)$". I want to create the opposite segment, picking sessions that didn't perform a site search.

performed-search-segment.png

I have tried two things, saying 'Search Term: matches regex "^$|^\(not set\)$" and creating a segment that says 'Site Search Status' exactly matches 'Visits Without Site Search' but when I look at my created segments, one and the other, together with the pre-defined 'Performed Site Search' the percentages don't add up to 100%

didnt-perform-search-segment.JPG

Can anyone provide advice on this, please?

Thanks very much, A.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACG
March 2017

Re: What's the best way to create a segment that picks sessions that didn't perform an internal sear

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

You can copy the pre-defined 'Performed Site Search' segment and change it from Include those user to Exclude those users from the segment that performed a site search instead

add-segment.jpg

add-segment02.jpg

add-segment03.jpg

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACG
March 2017

Re: What's the best way to create a segment that picks sessions that didn't perform an internal sear

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

You can copy the pre-defined 'Performed Site Search' segment and change it from Include those user to Exclude those users from the segment that performed a site search instead

add-segment.jpg

add-segment02.jpg

add-segment03.jpg

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

What's the best way to create a segment that picks sessions that didn't perform an internal search?

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Great- so silly of me, I complicated my life. thanks very much!