Analytics
4.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

What's a Normal Change in Average Position - Using "Search Console" Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm a bit rusty with Analytics. 

I'm trying to create a report that lists the Average Position of a set of landing pages. I've been using "Search Console" to find this information and then exporting it to analyze in Excel.

The data I get shows some very big swings in Average Position comparing month over month. The change for one landing page can be up or down by 30 or more per month, and this is the case for many pages. Are these huge swings normal? Is there a way for me to track down the cause?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael F
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Considering how the average position is calculated.... I would not be surprised. 

Since the cause is related to Google's ranking algorithm there's very little what you can do.

Did someone else link to that page?

Can you see or did you create any "buzz" related to page in question?

Google is known to test the search results to find the most relevant ones so one day you might be on top 10 and if there's more clicks to ones above or ones coming after you you might be dropped then popped back up if you update your content or gain traction: get links or mentions.

Lot of keyword volatility depends on what is your market and what are your keywords.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael F
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Considering how the average position is calculated.... I would not be surprised. 

Since the cause is related to Google's ranking algorithm there's very little what you can do.

Did someone else link to that page?

Can you see or did you create any "buzz" related to page in question?

Google is known to test the search results to find the most relevant ones so one day you might be on top 10 and if there's more clicks to ones above or ones coming after you you might be dropped then popped back up if you update your content or gain traction: get links or mentions.

Lot of keyword volatility depends on what is your market and what are your keywords.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was looking at SERP for a subset of several hundred pages. 

Upon further investigation, I found that anything with less than 500 impressions seemed to vary wildly from month to month, while pages with more impressions were relatively stable... 

I don't know much about how Google calculates its average positions, but I would guess that has something to do with it?