Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

What reasons are there for session discrepancies between multiple Google Analytics tracking IDs?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello.

I have a quick question regarding multiple GA tracking IDs. We currently have access to a client's standard Google Analytics and placed one of our own tracking IDs via GTM to do our own custom configuration via Google Tag Manager. After a month or so, I looked at the session data between the two and noticed that there were minor discrepancies (15974 vs 14736 from a 2 week duration). I can confirm that there are no differences in filters or the enabling of the 'remove common bots and spiders' feature. I can also confirm that the session discrepancy is noticed across all sources of traffic, not any in particular.

Could this be due to analytics.js loading times being different enough that it could lead to this gap? Is it possible for multiple Google Analytics tracking IDs to conflict with each other in this manner? If so, would someone be able to give a possible list of reasons why?

I appreciate the help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

What reasons are there for session discrepancies between multiple Google Analytics tracking IDs?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

There's no clear cut answer because it's based on the installation.

For example...are the tracking codes installed near the same spot in the source code...  If one is installed in the Head and the other in the Body, the Head script might receive more hits since some users may stop loading the page early or quickly click another link.  

Key is to check the differences between the two and make sure they stay inline.  

Hope this helps!

Cedric

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Also check to see where their code is implemented - check the hostname report to see if the original code is implemented on sites where your code is not (audience>technology>network>hostname). If the original code is present on an intranet, campaign site etc etc then this will lead to the mismatch you are seeing.

Also check to see if the difference is restricted to a particular type of device e.g. desktop, mobile, tablet.

If the UA ids are different then there is no reason for the different GA implementations to conflict with each other.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

there definitely could be some gap in data of analytics.js inplemented directly and GTM GA tags due to connectivity issues. I've run into in in several projects. But 8% is quite a big differecne so i'd recommend to double check the implementation (e.g. page by page and day by day)