Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

What is the effect of Campaign timeout setting on Attribution models?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

GA shows last touch attribution for all reports except Multi-channel Funnels. Which reports this campaign timeout setting will effect? Will it affect both default and Multi channel reports ? Can someone please explain this with an example like User 'A' comes to the site on Day1 by Google ads and then again came back on Day2 directly and finally transacted on Day3 via email, How will it be attributed if campaign timeout setting is "1 day"?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Sandesh, 

#1 GA show's last touch except for direct. 

#2 Hey Sandesh, Analytics default campaign timeout is half a year and can be expanded to longer. I don't recommend you lower it to a day's length. 

But, if you did it still doesn't matter in your email because it the final conversion is via email (I'm assuming you tag your emails). 

If you didn't tag your emails then it might be treated as direct traffic.

Hope that helps!

- Josh 

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joshua,

I had a quick question regarding this. Do you have any insight into the best way or guides to setting Campaign Timeout beyond what is stated in the offical Google docs (ie. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795871?hl=en)?

What happens if a user only has only two touch points? for example:

1. User A clicks on an AdWords ad

2. User A then converts via direct traffic 2 months later

If the Campaign Timeout setting was set to say 1 month, would the conversion then get attributed to direct? I know that by default GA attributes the conversion to the last non-direct traffic source, however, does Campaign Timeout affect this? Maybe I'm mis interpreting the Campaign Timeout setting possibly.

Thanks!