Analytics
3.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

What is the difference between New User and New Visitor ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I´m trying to find out how quickly people convert when they first visit our site. I get different results whether I use New User or New Visitor

In Analytics if I go to Conversions >Ecommerce > Time to purchase I get the following results:

Difference between New User and New Visitor 1.jpg

When I look at the Conversions > Multi Channel Funnels > Time Lag and that I apply the New Visitor segment I get the following

Difference between New User and New Visitor.jpg

(Note that the number of transactions for New User and for New Visitor for day 1 are equal)

Does it mean that a New User is a session based value (i.e. after the 1st session a User is not New User anymore) and a New Visitor a user based value (i.e. a New Visitor is new for as long as he visits the site with his cookie)??

Thanks a lot for the help.

To confuse you even more, In this article (https://www.optimizesmart.com/understanding-users-in-google-analytics/ ) it says they are the same thing but that one is a dimension and the other one is a metric.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the difference between New User and New Visitor ?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Laurent,

For the best data use the MCF (Multi Channel Funnels) report. The ecommerce report is misleading, it actually only shows data from the last CAMPAIGN; so if I came to your site last week from paid search, came back on the same client from organic, it would show 0 whereas the MCF report would show 7.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn