Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

What is (Other) in Default Channel Grouping? Advertising? Or Something else?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

Under Acquisition > All Traffic > Channels it shows Default Channel Grouping. One of the channels is (Other). I have read various answers as to what this is...but I am still confused. 

Google's answer is a little vague (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3297892?hl=en). When it says 'other advertising' does it mean (Other) ? 

When I look at the Medium for that channel it shows as businesslisting . I assume then that (Other) in this case is the Google Business Listing?

I know it sounds like a dumb question...but this would include any user who has been landed on my site from the Google Business Listing including where it shows in the SERPS (knowledge graph) and where it shows on the business card on Maps and the business Google+ page. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author THOMAS L
April 2016

Re: What is (Other) in Default Channel Grouping? Advertising? Or Something else?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 11
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
"Other" and "Other Advertising" are two separate channels. "Other" isn't defined publicly because it should only exist in misconfigured accounts.

The Channel grouping are all based on the "medium" of the click, as explained at https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3297892?hl=en

Google will automatically categorize some traffic, but if you create new "medium" labels that aren't on that list, it's your responsibility to add them to channel grouping. If you don't, Google dumps them in Other.

The "businesslisting" medium is probably from a link you've put a UTM parameter on. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033863?hl=en

View solution in original post

Re: What is (Other) in Default Channel Grouping? Advertising? Or Something else?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Thomas,
According to Google, Other is actually not organic. It's other advertising channels.

Paid is typically AdWords and AdCenter, paid search things. But stuff like Reddit advertising, Facebook, Twitter, and other display advertising, and maybe PLA based advertising (that might be your Google), is Other Advertising.

have you added a secondary metric of something like destination URL to see where the traffic is going? That might give you some clues.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply santosh s. I have read the same elsewhere. Yet the medium showing when the channel is (Other) is either 'businesslisting' or 'CPM'.

Is businesslisting really other advertising?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry not sure about business listing. As you also know that business listing is free not paid.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your ideas though. Appreciated.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Thomas,

You might be using the GA default channel grouping. GA puts the traffic from the sources / medium that don't fall in their default channels in the 'other'. You can edit this channels in the view settings > channel settings and add your business listing traffic in the channel that you think this is most related to. You can also create your own customised channel grouping there if you want.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Syed

Thanks for that suggestion.

That's a very good idea! The question is though...what does Google determine is 'businesslisting'? I am assuming its a Google Business Listing. But I would like to know specifically is this referral from the map? google+? the SERPS?

Thanks!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If you click on the 'Other' channel, it should give you the source / referrer.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Syed H,

The source is Google. So the inference is that it its whatever Google defines as 'businesslisting'. Unfortunately the way they spread that business listing information around between search products it's still not quite specific enough.

Thank you very much for your help

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
No worries, hope this helps.