Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

What does the search engine query parameter field need in Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I started using Google Analytics just today, so I apologize for being ill-informed.

I did some research about adding search engines as organic sources. I already read this (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795821?hl=en), but I don't know what the query parameter field needs. The chart has a bunch of characters in the query field, but are those just placeholders? Can anyone walk me through the proper setup process?

Thanks,
Alan
1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alan R
July

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

The ones in the chart are ones that are already recognized by Google Analytics, no need to add them.

To add one not on the list.. go to the search engine and do a search and take a look at what parameters are in

the browser address bar url and you should get an idea from that what parameter to use.. eg a q or s or a word such as query.

What search engine are you trying to add?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

I was unaware this was already setup in Analytics by default, so thank you for that!

You asked which search engine I was trying to add, but knowing what you told me, is the default list a fairly comprehensive one?

Thanks for your time!

Alan

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I think its a fairly comprehensive list for the main search engines.
Obviously depending on locale, then there may be local ones to a particular country/area 

that have not been included on it.. but it seems to include the major ones.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here