Analytics
3.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

What does "Transaction" mean in Internal Promotion EC report?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have implemented enhanced ecommerce's internal promo on my website. In the Internal Promotion report under Conversion > Ecommerce > Marketing in GA, I can see a column "Transaction". I am unclear what it means since we our promo banners, ads etc. land the users on a product listing (category) page. We can measure promo views, clicks etc. however, how can an entire transaction be tied to a promo? I understand individual items added to cart can be attributed to the last-clicked internal promotion but how do I interpret the # of transactions against each promo name row?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

That's exactly it: you're showing transactions that can be attributed to a specific promo after it's clicked

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Julien. So I assume transaction is at an order level. Just like any other ecommerce service, on my website as well, an order can have multiple products. So my doubt is the following:

This is the sequence of events:

User comes --> Clicks on a promo banner 1 --> Adds Product A to cart --> Clicks on promo banner 2 --> Adds Product B to cart --> Checkout (where transaction is recorded in GA enhanced ecommerce).

In this case, which promo will this transaction attribute to - Promo banner 1 or Promo banner 2? Or both?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Vishrut Shukla

Although there is very little documentation available about attribution model of internal promotion, I had similar question and I ran some tests which seemed to suggest that transactions are attributed to the last internal promotion click.

Which means in your example transaction revenue of both products will be attributed to Banner2 Click.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Re: What does "Transaction" mean in Internal Promotion EC report?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Correct, promo attribution is for the last internal promo clicked
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set promo attribution for the last internal promo click, but transaction and revenue not updating in my internal promotion reportIt updating transaction and revenue bottom of header bracket but not in report list.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I encounter the same issue. I can see promotion views, promotion clicks, but no transactions are attributed to any promotion, neither in the EEC Internal Promotion report nor in a Custom Report.

Transactions are although well recorded and attributed in the promotion list report. I checked the implementation (datalayer, hits...). Everything works but transactions won't be attributed to any internal promotion.

Has anybody ever met this issue and solved it ?

Thanks in advance.

Fred