Analytics
3.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

What am I doing wrong - no data in 'Campaigns' view

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Viewing ‘Acquisition > All traffic > Source/Medium’ I see 36 sessions with 19 direct, 5 from m.facebook.com/referral, 3 from l.facebook.com/referral, 3 from linkedin.com/referral, 2 from facebook.com/referral etc.

I created a raft of UTM links using this the URL builder for GA over at raventools dot com. I pasted each one into Bitly.com and customised the link for a more human link then pasted those links into my various profiles (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. etc.) because I wanted to track everything in Campaigns.

However, viewing ‘Acquisition > Campaigns > All Campaigns’ I have ZERO data.

The site is hosted on ClickFunnels and configured over at CloudFlare as suggested with Google Analytics App turned on and the site has been verified in Google Webmaster Tools also.

• I copy/pasted one of my custom URLs into a browser
  • I have checked the GA code is in the page source
  • I had GA Real Time Overview open at the time 
  • NOTHING on real time coming through at all
  • Latest visit (session still sitting open in browser) is not showing in today's analytics results at all

I am stumped. Before I start spending money driving traffic, I want GA to be working well for me. Tips, suggestions, troubleshooting assistance would be gratefully received, thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What am I doing wrong - no data in 'Campaigns' view

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Soo lets start to eliminate some possibilities, the first thing I would try is to try your URL with the UTM parameters without using Bitly.com to shorten them and see if they work. If they do then you know the issue is on the Bitly.com compression and translation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's what I did.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think I may have a solution as to why MY visit is not showing in Real Time, and that's because I have a filter in place to block visits from my IP from being counted. HOWEVER, I can't explain why no other traffic appears under campaigns.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So... I turned off the IP filter in GA. I then used: https://www.tallpoppyleaders.com?utm_source=snapchat&utm_medium=tpl_url&utm_campaign=sitepromo&utm_c... to view the site.

Real Time showed me:

Source: direct

Campaign: none
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan S
June 2016

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
You can temporarily remove your filter and see if the real time report sees your campaign URL, in some cases Ihave had to change the ? to a # to get them to work particularly on my SharePoint based websites. You could try that as well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
GENIUS Brian B. I replaced ? with # and Real Time showed the campaign data as expected. Thanks SO MUCH. Where did you find out about that/learn about that trick? Any others you suggest?

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
An old SharePoint user guide stated that added parameters should be delimented with #, read it years ago and when I had issues it just came back to my limited memory and since it worked for me I wrote it down as a must save note for future use.