Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Weird landing pages showing up in Analytics!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My analytics is showing weird landing pages in Analytics (Highlighted as yellow in the screenshot attached), these pages, when opened are landing to 404 page and source is showing as Google, Bing, even though they are not being crawled by search engines. Can anyone help on how can I remove them or is it spam traffic?Screenshot.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

can you go to that report again and choose from the drop down above the report named Secondary Dimension. Choose Hostname (you can find it quickly just by typing it to the search box.

Does the hostname equal your site with these strange landing pages? If not and if you know the hostname aka the site you might need to do some corrections to your code implementation.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey

Thanks for your suggestion. Tried that! But the host name is fine as you can see in the image attached. Is it some other issue??

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

No image showing, but I'll take your word for it Smiley Happy

From previous image I noticed that bounce rate is not 100% with these pages... 1 more thing. If you click one of these pages open in report (to get data for just that page) there is link Navigation summary where you can check previous and next pages... Do they give you any hint?

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

I'd check the 404 page report from webmaster tools - could be some kind of bigger SEO issue. Your report also shows a large number of landing pages with (not set) - that's a little concerning, as it can indicate broken sessions or time outs. Check out this article here: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/06/25/11-places-google-analytics-not-set/

Are you sure there is not some kind of cross domain issue ocurring here - what exactly does the hostname report say? (as Antti N said, this is a pretty important part of the puzzle) There's a big difference, depending on your GA set-up, if it says yourdomain.com or xyz.yourdomain.com.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.