Analytics
5.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Website is in English but targeting Google.com.hk

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I have a website which is in English but we are targeting Google.com.hk (Hong Kong) market. Whenever any user go to Google.com.hk, they can choose English version or Chinese version using following: 

Can i track in my analytics how many users are coming to my site using English version vs Chinese version? 

Purpose: I need this to check which version of Google.com.hk are people using, so that I can track my rankings in that version more closely. Right now SERP in both version is little bit different. 

Thanks for your help in advance. 
1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Hem,

You can do this in a number of ways.  You can use event tracking to track clicks on the language selection and compare to the language that GA captures.  You could also capture document.referrer as a custom dimension so that you can see which version of Google was used.  I would use document.referrer and event tracking.  Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for reply Theo. I will check this out and try to implement this. 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hem,

If you are using GTM, it's really easy.  If you're not, you'll need to customize the GATC to capture this - not terribly difficult just more labor intensive -- especially adding events.

Here are some resources for you on event tracking and custom dimensions:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/custom-dims-mets#implementa...

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn