Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Website homepage shows up as top result when looking up campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

each link to our website in a newsletter contains a Utm code so we can look up every newsletter as a separate campaign in Analytics.

For various newsletters, the top result of the clicks from a newsletter is the homepage (listed as "/"). This is the case when the secundary dimension is set as Next Pagepath as well as Destination page.

This can't be right since our homepage isn't even featured as a link in the newsletters, let alone prominently displayed causing it to be the top ranked clickthrough.

Does anyone know how the "/" result can be at the top of various of our newsletter campaigns? Any input is appreciated, thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Wouter,

Have you tried the following?: 

1) Go to Behavior Flow Report 

2) Change the select metric from Landing Page to Source/Medium (if you don't see your email campaigns try expanding the "level of detail" 

3) Once you've found the campaigns can you see what is the 'path'. ie (Starting page, 1st interaction, 2nd interaction) Also remember an interaction isn't necessarily a page visit it could be an event. 

Let me know how that goes. 

- Josh 

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Josh,

thanks for the input! I can select "newsletter" under Behavior Flow Report -> Source/Medium. But then I can't seem to zoom in specific newsletters. I just see the overall user interactions. Is there a way to single out specific campaigns in this section?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Anyone else have any idea as to why the homepage of our website ("/") is ranked highly in newsletter campaigns, even though there is no link to the homepage available in any of the newsletters? The homepage shows up in the top of the campaign results when the secundary dimension is set to Next Pagepath as well as Destination Page.