Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Web property id tracked twice

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Tag assistant is showing that I have the same web property id tracked twice. Website is www.twinleeks.com. When I view page source I can see the code twice, but then I go into HTML editing I can only find one code. The other is nowhere to be found where I can just erase it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Frazer B
June 2016

Re: Web property id tracked twice

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Frazer,

Can you post a screenshot of the trigger and tag you're using in GTM?

Also double triple quadruple check your plugin and theme settings plus editor to make sure there are no straggling Google Analytics snippets.

Ali

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Frazer,

It seems as though you have two instances of Google Tag Manager installed so that's firing multiple Google Analytics tags, and you may also have another separate GA snippet.

A gentleman earlier had the same problem and it was being caused by plugins like All In One SEO and similar tools that were firing the tag.

Deactivate the non essential plugins you have (settings will be saved), go to Theme Options and check for any custom snippet options and get rid of those then retry your Tag Assistant test and let me know what's changed.

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Ali,

Thanks for your reply. Before it was showing the same GA analytics tag twice in my tag assistant analysis. I deactivated some plugins and one of the GA tags disappeared, but the one still indicates "same web property id shown twice" as an issue. Before, it also indicated 2 google tag manager tags. I removed one for the editor and now it only indicates one in the tag assistant. I checked and didn't see extra snippets. Since then, a floodlight tag appeared and said "URLs should end with a ?". I am very new to all this and clearly have some learning to do.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Frazer,

I'm glad you've managed to eliminate most of the unwanted tags!

How about you remove any and all instances of GTM and GA, double check Tag Manager settings to make sure only one GA tag is firing for all pages then manually insert the GTM code into WordPress header.php (when you edit the templates in WordPress this is where you'd add GTM).

I think it's maybe another plugin or a manually inserted snippet that's been overlooked.

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I removed all GA and GTM codes from my site. I went back in and manually
inserted the GTM code in the body in the header php. GTM appeared back in
the tag analysis. I then manually inserted GA code in header php in head
section. The GA tag appeared back in the tag analysis, but still with the
"web property id" issue. It also says "tag not fired through GTM".

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Frazer,

I should have pointed out that all you need is the GTM snippet in header.php, you don't need GA there as well.

GA will fire via GTM.

Ali

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If you remove GA from header.php, leaving only GTM (after the opening <body> tag), login to Tag Manager:

https://tagmanager.google.com

And there you should be able to add or check on the Google Analytics tag. Once you're happy with the setup there, on the top right you can publish it - GTM will do all the work so you don't need to insert the snippet manually.

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok. I removed the GA code from the header php. And now all that remains in
the tag assistant is the GTM tag, which is showing no problems. I double
checked tag manager and there is one GA tag firing on all pages. Last night
I added a trigger "pageview"-could this be playing a role somehow?

I want to add my GA account page is showing no activity, which seems
strange because I am on my webpage now.

Thanks again! This is a lot of help
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Frazer B
June 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Frazer,

Can you post a screenshot of the trigger and tag you're using in GTM?

Also double triple quadruple check your plugin and theme settings plus editor to make sure there are no straggling Google Analytics snippets.

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Ali,

It appears the situation is resolved. Last night a google tag manager window was appearing on my website and I couldn't get rid of it. I deleted my account and reinstalled tag manager. I also reactivated my ga counter tracker plugin(I deleted before). This plugin provided a lot of useful data to me. Now, in tag assistant, the the GTM and GA tags are showing but with no problems (green). It appears to be resolved and I thank you for your help (i felt I learned a lot).

I guess time will tell if GA is accurate. The whole reason for me seeking help is because I have friends and family in certain states, that I know where clicking, but it was reporting on GA.

Thanks again!