Analytics
3.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Ways to share Custom Reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm working with a company making the transition from the old Google Analytics (with Custom Variables) to the new Google Analytics (with Custom Dimensions).

They make heavy use of the Audience -> Custom -> Custom Variables view, so I'm looking to create a similar experience so they can continue to drill down through their data.

It seems that Custom Dimensions don't supply a report such as the above Custom Variables report by default. OK, so we can build one on the Customisation tab.

But there's no simple way for me to share this with the rest of the team, like there is with Dashboards. What workarounds do you use for this missing feature?

Some options I'm looking into:

1) Create the Custom Report, create a template link, and email it to everyone who will use the account

The downside of this is that if we change the report, we need to tell everybody to update their template (and delete the old report).

This is messy, but it's the best solution I can see so we're probably going to do it.

2) Create the Custom Report and embed it into a dashboard.

This doesn't permit users to drill down, and it only allows two metrics per widget for some reason...... so it's not useful.

Question: is there any other workarounds I've overlooked?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ways to share Custom Reports

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Corey,

Yes, go for option 1. Try to avoid frequent changes. You may advise your customer to make a shortcut of this report using certain sorting, number of lines etc.

Christoph