Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Was there a new algorithm? Sudden jump in sessions/visits even in previous month

LL
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
LL
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I used to record the statistics per month manually by copy-paste from GA to my Excel. The statistics have always been in hundreds. Starting March, I was busy and stopped, thinking GA would remember it anyway. Just now, I went back to retro retrieve the numbers to be compared on my Excel. It shows a huge jump in Users, New Users, Search terms, etc.

Jan: 217

Feb: 325

Mar: 3335

Apr: 2865

etc

Good thing? I then went to check Feb numbers, it is now 3332. Not good.

My Excel's number of "August 2016" is 602, now GA is saying it's 2857!

I didn't change the filter, or segment, or dashboard, why is the number being calculated by GA different now?

Was there a new algorithm? Sudden jump in sessions/visits even in previous month

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi LL!

Thanks for sharing this out.

This rarely happened, though it never happen to me in my 5 years handling GA. Did you double check your date timeline? 

LL
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
LL
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jarric,

So this has happened before?

I tried to investigate what is wrong, don't know what's wrong. What I know now is:

- only one of my property is affected, that property is the main property of a domain that has four properties, the other domains are not affected as far as I know

- the last time I touched tag manager was 8 months ago, but if it was caused by tag manager, my other properties should be affected as well

- not caused by GA's dashboard, unlikely in the first place, but I remade it anyway. Import another dashboard from another property, same result

- Anti-spam filters, view segment: I redo/updated those as well