Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

WMT Clicks Increased, GA Search Traffic Tanked

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm struggling to understand the cause of the drop in my traffic, over 60% over night! It appears that only my "Organic Search" traffic has suffered. However, inside WMT, my clicks, impressions, CTR and position have not changed. It's now day 4 and GA traffic is still 60% down while WMT is showing no drops. Totally bizarre!

I should mention that around the same time when the drop happened in GA, I moved servers. However, I checked every possible scenario to make sure that no tracking code was left out, but it checks out. I even switched DNS back to the old server, but traffic is still down. Am I missing something?

I've looked into the robot file, everything seems to be okay. Everything is being indexed/crawled properly. I have no reason to believe that I somehow was hit by a Google Update (there hasn't been any) besides, I don't do any SEO whatsoever. And even if I did get hit by some kind of an update, shouldn't numbers reflect in WMT also?

Please help. I'm out of ideas... 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqrtzsl6dkl01kp/3.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mukps0964o00509/4.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6q4zszc16nkm4ng/5.jpg?dl=0

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: WMT Clicks Increased, GA Search Traffic Tanked

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
What do you mean by 'moved servers'? A different subdomain? Are there 301 redirects on the old server to the new one?
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike, thanks for the response. Actually I migrated to a new domain back in Jan with a 301 perm redirect and it's been working fine ever since. But about a week ago I moved the site to a new server (and I made sure to keep all the same 301 redirects in place).

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If you haven't made changes to the domain and the site is basically the same design, the hardware it is running on should have little effect.

You should look at before and after the drop, and use the Secondary Dimensions option in the reports to see if traffic from specific Sources to specific Landing Pages have dropped off. That may give a better clue than dealing with site-level totals.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike,

Yes, I looked into it a lot. Only my organic search took a hit, and all of my top performing landing pages took the same hit. Looks like it's an organic search-wide issue, not content specific. But according to WMT, everything is very stable.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Maybe a widespread flip to turn off GA tracking, or something about your website not responding properly for specific browsers. I have no further ideas.