Analytics
6.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Virtual Pageviews vs Actual Pageviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Seems like this should be a simple, straightforward question:

Once I have implemented Virtual Pageviews, does this override the actual pageview in GA?

I had assumed this would be the case, so as not to cause double counting, but in the Acquisition view I see a mixture of Virtual and what look like fully parameterised URLs indicating that Actual pageviews are registering too.

Greatly appreciate any answers for a newbie to the community!

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Virtual Pageviews vs Actual Pageviews

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

virtual page view is just an additional page view and it does not override the default one. So in essence when the analytics.js library is ready it will send a pageview if the send command is present - this can happen multiple times but on other events such as element clicks or similar - these events are used as 'triggers' to send virtual page views.

If you send a default page and an additional page view on the same page it will count 2 pageviews in total though if you override the page path each of the pageviews will be assigned to the appropriate page dimension values.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net