Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Very Low Bounce rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've got a problem that is drving me crazy.  My bounce rate is under 1%. For the life of me I can not figure out why.  I've checked and can only find one Google Code No tag manager is installed.  At one time I have a bunch of SPAM referrers which were affecting the rates also but that seems to be under control. Yet the bounce rate seems to have dropped even more.

I've read thru the other responses but nothing seems to work. I'm hoping that I'm just being blind. 

I have no idea what to check next. The webiste in question is www.hoffbrausteaks.com

Thanks for any assistance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Very Low Bounce rate

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Is your responsive slider showing pages or images? If it shows pages, you may be triggering the tracking code pageview with each one displayed. Your Behavior - All Pages report will be a clue..

If not, are you tracking Interaction events on the page? They count as a hit.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First, thank you.

I have no interaction events on any pages at this time.

From what I can tell, the Responsive slide shows images, not pages. I did look at the Analytics reports.

It show 13,113 sessions, 10,280 users, 64, 097 pageviews, 4.89 pages per session, bounce rate .70% bounce rate, avg. session time of 2.00 and 73.19 % new sessions.

To me the pageviews seem very hight and the new sessions do also.

Any hints? I have no diea what to look for to see if this other plugin may be the cause. I'm looking at a couple of other plugins, one being a post plugin that shows excrcepts. Not sure what to look for and this plugin (Recent Posts) is no longer being supported.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
With 0.7% bounce rate, almost every session is receiving 2 hits. With 73% new sessions, it is every user, regardless of how long they stay or how many pages they view.

Look at the All Pages report - are they specific pages that seem to have 2x the pageviews as the unique pageviews? That would indicate that you get 2 hits per page. if not, is there another pattern such as 2 pages that have equally larger numbers, or a set of 6 with similar numbers?

Use a quiet day, and look at only that day.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I found a page to look at and found the following:

These are the top nine pages and stats. All look pretty much the same. 

Page Views               Unique Pageviews

113                                 45

110                                 44

100                                 38

92                                 33

84                                 34

81                                 30

68                                 23

45                                 20

42                                  8

This kind of eliminated my thought about a plug that shows blogs posts on the home page. It is the only page that it shows. Even on the pages that bypass the home page are doing it.

I've been going thru my plugins and looked at ALll in One SEO. Not seeing anything yet at this point. This really has me stumped. I may changed the SEO plugin but not suyre why it would do that. I may also try to find another recent posts plugin for the home page since the support onthe one I bought is now non-existent. I really can't fathom any of the other plugsin doing it as I use them all the time with no issues.

I really appreciate your assistance.

Added:  I might add the I did check under Developers tools/resources/cookies/ and found only 1 utma, utmc,utmz, ga 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I usually see this when two instances of Analtyics are called (tracking a pageview twice, for instance). I don't see that on your site. But, what I do see is you're calling two different Analytics files:

<script type="text/javascript" async="" src="http://www.google-analytics.com/ga.js"></script>

and

<script async="" src="//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js"></script>

So, maybe the code is running twice?

Suzanne

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much for the reply. I have done several things today. Cleaned out a couple of old databases and deleted old files. I thought that helped but it seems not. then I changed some redirects but have no idea why that would affect things, but you never know.

Can you tell me where you are seeing this duplication? And any idea how to fix it? Not even sure where to start.

Sandy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Cleaning out databases and deleting files wouldn't likely help this problem. :-)

Unfortunately, I can't tell what's adding the files. They seem to be added dynamically. I don't know how technical you are, so I don't want to start confusing things! :-)

You're also getting a <div> element added in your <head> section; that's unusual.

Are you using any plugins that add Google Analytics to your pages for you? Did you make any changes to the site around the time that the bounce rate changed?

Suzanne

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Again, thanks. I'm fairly technical. I use builder to add the code. I've verfied that it isn't being added again by anything else. No real changes to the site lately so I don't really know how long this has been going on. I thought once it was SAPM and I set up filters for referral SPAM. Thought that would solve it some time ago. Most of that is now gone (found one or two more but minor)

Where are you seeing the line being added? I tried looking under page source but could not find it,

I may delete analytics code this evening and then add it back to see if that corrects it. Any other suggestions.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yikes! I had written out a long post and thought it had posted. I can see now it hasn't...

I'm using Chrome Dev Tools to see the line. So, in Chrome, go to your main page and right-click. Click on Inspect. Then, do a Ctrl-F to find "google-" (without the quotes). You'll see the two lines, sandwiching a call to the addtomany.com script. (Edited: well, when I first looked at it, the two GA files sandwiched the addtomany.  It changed! :-) )

Just above that is where you'll find the weird <div> in your <head>: <div class="fit-vids-style">, etc.

Edited to add a screenshot:  hoffbrau.png

Suzanne