Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Valid traffic to site missing Hostname in GA Report - Appearing as (not set)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The Hostname in GA is showing (not set) for valid traffic to my website.

When visiting the website, this is what I see in the Tag Assistant - the Hostname seems to be missing:

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 4.59.06 PM.png

Any idea why is GA not able to recognise my hostname? 

This is a Shopify website so the GA account is currently being configured via Shopify's platform.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Derek, 

Let's try the following: 

#1 When you go to your Analytics Report: Audience > Technology > Network > Primary Dimension "Hostname" - what are you seeing here? Are you getting a lot of https:/// or (not set) ? Or is the majority of your traffic from your domain? If so this might be a false flag. 

#2 Go to your filters and make sure you are not accidentally filtering out traffic from your domain's hostname. 

#3 If this isn't the case then consider making a filter that includes ALL of your valid host names. Although be careful using filters ... they're not segments and will permanently affect all future data. 

Let me know how steps #1 and #2 go. 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Valid traffic to site missing Hostname in GA Report - Appearing as (not set)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your reply.

Answering your questions:

1. 93% is shown as (Not Set) ; 7% is showing the hostname correctly

2. Actually, I found out this issue because I was applying Filters to filter only the hostname of my website. After the filter was applied, the reports in GA showed a huge drop in sessions the next day. After realising the drop, I looked back to historical data and found out that majority of the Hostname was passed as (not set).

Some sample screenshot below:

Majority traffic has (no set) hostname)

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 6.47.23 PM.png

Added Source/Medium to check if it's Spam traffic, but it's not:

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 7.26.18 PM.png

This appears to be very weird to me and I have no idea why it's happening. Haven't seen this for the other websites I've managed.

Thanks!

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Derek, 

Well based on what you've said my next question is to ask whether you properly implemented the filter. If you improperly filtered your Hostname it may explain the correlation between the drop in traffic and your new filter. 

Can you send a screenshot of your filter setup?

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Valid traffic to site missing Hostname in GA Report - Appearing as (not set)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joshua,

The (not set) data provided above was screenshot before the filter was applied.

After the filter is applied, I no longer see (not set) because the hostname is being "filtered". Please find below the screenshot of the filter I used:

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 11.36.33 AM.png

Notice the chart below, the drop happened after I set the filter:

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 11.45.46 AM.png

Hostnames before filter was applied:

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 11.48.53 AM.png

Hostnames after filter was applied:

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 11.49.15 AM.png

Thanks Joshua. Let me know your deductions.