Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Using content groupings for custom reports - remove Not Set

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to run custom reports on a content grouping, but there a huge number of Not Set pages showing up in the reports. Is there any way to remove them? Is there a better way to run reports on a set of pages with unrelated URLs?

Thanks,
Robin

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using content groupings for custom reports - remove Not Set

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Robin,

in your custom report setup just use a filter where you exclude (not set) (for a specific content group).

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

I've looked at the filters, but I can't figure out how to do this.

First, I want to filter to include only pages with in the content grouping, and exclude the "not set" pages, but the filters seem to only allow me to select "include" OR "exclude". There doesn't seem to be a way to create one include filter and one exclude filter.

Second, when I look under the filter drop down options, I don't see anything referring to "not set". How do I filter out the not set pages.

Thanks,
Robin

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Robin,

just a short question - do you want to report on (lets say content group is site language):
1. Content grouping 1 - all values without (not set) - so values would be EN, DE, IT, FR ...?
2. Only one value within a content group - report for only EN?
3. Pages which have a content group value other than (not set) - Pages which all have any of the CG values?
4. Pages for a specific content group value - all pages which have EN CG value?

Kind regards,
Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The content grouping is made up of a number of different pages with a particular topic in the page content. I want to report on:
• hits
• unique visits
• repeat visits
• time on page
• bounce rate
• which pages they bounce from
• source of referral (Google, etc.)
• keywords searched
• mobile vs. desktop site

Thanks,
Robin

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Robin,

I will assume the filters issue is resolved - if not please let me know.

For your request on how you would like to report content grouping values - just a few things you need to be aware of:
1. hits - you can use the metric Hits though it will tell you much so probably pageviews would be more applicable in this case
2. Unique visits - this naming is not used anymore in fact some of the core metrics have changed so in this case it would be users metric combined with the Landing page Content grouping dimension
3. Average Time on page can be used with basic content grouping in pages report
4. Bounce rate can be reported with pages and landing pages content grouping
5. Exit pages may be combined with a secondary dimension (CG group)
6. Source / keyword / mobile and desktop grouping performance can be set a a series of custom segments which can be applied to different reports inside GA

Kind regards,
Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

Maybe I misunderstood your previous response. I thought you were asking what I was measuring as a piece of information that would be helpful to resolving the issue. I haven't been able to figure out how to use a filter to exclude the not set pages.

Thanks,
Robin
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robin H
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Robin,

here is an example (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BytnRKtKViclNHJTZkUtVGpLTXM/view?usp=sharing) on how to exclude (not set) from a custom report where you display content group values (you can add an additional drill down dimension - Page to see a list of pages contained in one content group within one dimension value).

Kind regards,
Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you!!!! It worked!
It's actually really simple, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. Thanks so much for your help!

Best,
Robin

Using content groupings for custom reports - remove Not Set

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zorin,

Even iam facing same problem. I need to disable not set events. The above url (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BytnRKtKViclNHJTZkUtVGpLTXM/view?usp=sharing)is not accesible