Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Using a custom search page on my site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an internal (behind the firewall) website (so Google can't index it). My site has a built-in search feature. There is a Search box on every page. When a user enters a search, they are taken to:

//Search.htm#search-<keyword(s)>

So If I search for 'encryption' the search is:

//Search.htm#search-encryption.

If I search for 'host name' the search is:

//Search.htm#search-host%20name

When I look at the data in Analytics, it shows me how many people hit the search page, but I can't figure out how to make it tell me *what the search term was*.

I've tried reading the help, and I've checked every setting I can find in Analytics, and I'm not sure if this is a feature that is missing (because Analytics expects you to use traditional search engines), or if I just haven't stumbled across it yet.

Is there a way for me to see search terms in Analytics? Or is there a way to configure Analytics to provide me with these search terms that were passed as part of the URL to the search page so I can see search terms in Analytics?

Thanks for your help, and patience (first time here). 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using a custom search page on my site

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Google Analytics ignores hash tags. Your best bet is to use Google Tag Manager. Here is Daniel Carlbom's solution, which I've successfully adapted for some of my clients: http://dcarlbom.com/google-tag-manager/remove-url-query-string-via-google-tag-manager/