Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Using GA to monitor community website page usage

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am interested in learning how to use GA to monitor page usage on a community website.  This website is used to provide community users news and information, and is not oriented or concerned with business analytics such as monitoring ad usage. The website is hosted by Hoa-sites who has placed GA tracking code on the site. I have a GA  account and a GA reference number.  I can log in to my GA account and click on the "Reporting" menu and then click on the "Active User" option.  I then get a graph of "Active Users" by1,7,14,30 day intervals.  But the numbers show 16 total users for the 30 day interval, which is not accurate.  I logged on the website and access serval pages, when I went back to the GA webpage and refreshed the graph, nothing changed.  What is necessary to see accurate data? And how can I see statistics by page usage?

I have spent considerable time  accessing various GA help pages, but have not found any help oriented to the level of experience I have in analytics.  Most help pages seem to be directed to experience business users and assume a much greater knowledge of GA analytics terminology than I have. Can I be directed to a help page that is oriented to the newbie non-business user?   Is there a phone help number, or an online chat page that I can use to provide more explanation of what I want to accomplish with GA?

Thanks for any assistance to get me started.

Walt

PS-  I attempted to add a graphic attachment showing the GA graph that I see in the "Reporting" view, but it failed and gave me an error message about an invalid URL

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using GA to monitor community website page usage

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Water the first thing to do is verify your date range which is located in the upper right hand corner, by default I believe it gets set at the last 30 days. Next is to keep in mind that GA can take upwards to 48 hours to completely process all your data so yesterday and perhaps the day before may not be fully processed. The next thing to become familar with is what each metric is actually telling your mouse over each metric (Sessions, Users, Pageviews, Page/Sessions, etc.) and you will get a definition of each metric. The reporting is broken down into six basic categories Intelligence Events which deals primarily with goals and conversions if you have not set any of those yet you can move on to the next section which is Real Time. In Real Time you are viewing data in Real Time and you can see how users are actively and currently interacting with your site. The third section is Audeince in this section you can get into your dimensions (a dimension is how your data is being divided and a metric is a count of that data). The fourth section is Acquisition or how your visitors arrived at your website. Next is Behaviour this encompasses items such as how your website and server is performing, what your users are searching on and which content (pages) are being viewed. The last section is Conversions you will again only be interested in this section if your doing ecommerce or have set up goals or do advance channel funels. Just below the date range on most pages you will see a graduation cap click that cap at you can get a good overview and help on the section and sub-sections it is their help tool. The best way to learn GA is to play around and come to this Community of Practice and ask questions. Enjoy using GA and I hope you gain some insight into your site.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Brian B,

I am trying to use GA to monitor our community website hosted by "HOA-sites" .  Our webmaster has communicated the issues I have encountered to the "HOA-sites" technical staff and they responded that all of the website pages have had the GA  coded and the errors I am getting and lack of any data being displayed is a problem on the GA side.  Here is the code that they have added to each page:

-------------

<script type="text/javascript">
 (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
 (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
 m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
 })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');
 ga('create', '75163172-1', 'auto');
 ga('send', 'pageview');
< /script>

-----------------------------------------------

Below are some screen images of my interaction with GA that might give you some clue as to where the problem is that is causing that lack of data.  Note I have been logged into the website using separate browser so I would expect that at least one "active user" should be in the data displays.

Any ideas on where I can get some help?

Thanks,

Walt

------------------------------ GA screen images ---------------------------------------

Active Users on site.JPGAllUsers Community Chat.JPGGACapture.JPGLoad in full view.JPGpage analytics by Google.JPGProblem Loading In-Page Analytics.JPGstill loadg.JPG

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Walt the code does not look like it is properly configured this line ga('create', '75163172-1', 'auto'); should read as ga('create', 'UA-75163172-1', 'auto'); and it looks like you are missing some code after the (arguments) section. This could be that it was stripped out by this forum as any time I try to copy and paste code it gets stripped out but look at this page source and compare to yours. https://dap.dau.mil

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Brian B,

I will pass this comment to the HOA-Sites technical staff to have the code corrected.

I was able to view the GA script on the dap.dau site, which looks like the "UA-" prefix is needed.
Will let you know it this works.

Walt