Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Users vs Sessions count

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand than in Google Analytics a user is unique visitor and a session is a visit.

Now, when creating a new segment by events how is it possible that:

Filter Users with event category X and label Y:
> Users 31,435 and Sessions 44,562

and

Filter Sessions with event category X and label Y:
> Users 43,140 and Sessions 49,659

How can there be more users with the event and label by sessions than there are users that have the event and label by users?

I know the question is a bit messed up, so is the situation for me, but hopefully someone gets it!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Users vs Sessions count

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Silver R,

Thanks for posting on the Community. I’m going to look into this for you and update this thread when I have more information for you.

Krisha

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Krisha wrote:

Hi Silver R,

Thanks for posting on the Community. I’m going to look into this for you and update this thread when I have more information for you.

Krisha

Hi Krisha,

Thanks, Looking forward to your answer!

Silver

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Silver,

First, from what I can understand, you have created a segment. Segments frequently cause sampling as data is created on-the-fly which might skew data and impact the accuracy and comparability of data across reports and particularly different scopes (i.e. user scope vs. session scope vs. hit scope). Here is a Help Center article https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2637192 on sampling. A good resource on the different scopes of Analytics can be found here (non-Google source) http://cutroni.com/blog/2014/02/05/understanding-digital-analytics-data/.

Secondly, please note that the amount of users and sessions associated with certain event labels, categories, etc. may vary because of the different scopes. Events are registered as hits while users and sessions are higher-level scopes with the user being the highest-level scope. I replicated the aforementioned segment in a random Google Analytics account and found the following:
- If you include sessions with event category X and label Y and sampling is at 100%, you get A no. of users and B no. of sessions.
- If you include users with event category X and label Y and sampling is at 100%, you get A no. of users (equalling the no. in the above scenario) and C no. of sessions (with C being higher than B no. of sessions in the above scenario). The no. of sessions in this scenario is higher because it also includes sessions where the event category X and label Y conditions are not met because the segment targets the (higher) user scope and consequently includes all user sessions amongst which at least one has to be associated with event category X and label Y.

In both scenarios, the no. of users remains the same because it is the highest scope and you cannot segment at a scope higher than the user level.

I hope the above information helps!

Krisha

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Krisha, 

Thank you for your answer!

Yes, that would make sense, if the session count is different and users are the same, but in my case there is a huge difference in both!

Please take a look at the screenshots:

1.PNG2.PNG

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Hi Silver,

I will reach out to you directly for more information. Please look for my email.

Thanks,

Krisha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Krisha,

Thank you for reaching out to me!

As I am quite new to the forum and not 100% sure what an expert status is, and also you don't seem to be a long-time user, is there a way you could identify yourself and your relations with Google. That would be essential before I am able to share any data with you.

Thanks!

Silver

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager

Hi Silver,

My name is Cassie, and I'm a Community Manager here at Google with Krisha. Sometimes if an issue is account-specific, we need to reach out outside the public forums in order to get more information from you while keeping your data and information secure. In this case, since we need information to solve the issue that should not be shared publicly, Krisha reached out to you over email.

When we email Community members, we will always say that we are doing so in the forum, and you should also always check that the person whose email you are responding to has an email address that ends in @google.com.

Let me know if you have additional questions!
Cassie