Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Users only show up in GA if from a search, Over seas users dont show up

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HELP wont show users from overseas or east coast, Only users from goggle search show up. This seemed to happen after I got search counsel working with a WWW version of site. .I have users left comments & still wont show up on GA.But If I have users in my city it will show up.  Users show up in my WP Hits plug in & also leave comments, but not in GA

Help Help

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Speed R
October 2016

Re: Users only show up in GA if from a search, Over seas users dont show up

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Speed R,

Google will not add a canonical meta tag, but this is something you should do. Google actually does not make any changes to web code, none, as the only they are doing is tracking metrics. Your reporting may be different since linking but nothing with your website or server is different. There is absolutely no way it can be.

Take a look at this meta tag. This should be added to your coding, where other meta tags are.

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.yoursite.com/index.htm"/>

Replace the full address (part in red) for yours and do this for each page of your website. Then set up a 301 redirect for the non-www version to your www version. You need to consolidate all traffic to the www version.   

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Speed R,

Visit Google Analytics, click on the Admin tab and then click on Property Settings. Make sure the default URL is set to the www version of your website. Then go to bottom of that page and click save. While you are there, click on Adjust Search Console (right above the save button) and make sure it is set to the www version, too. 

I would also use the Google Chrome extension, Google Tag Assistant to verify the tracking code is working properly. 

Please give it 24 hours to update and see what happens. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have tried that before. no luck. Can I use tag assistant if I use fire fox? If I use tags should I remove the existing snippet of code in my head tags?
Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Speed R,

Google Tag Assistant is only offered for Google Chrome. You can download Chrome and Tag Assistant merely for the this testing/verification purpose and then delete it?

Tags are the same thing as tracking code. So they are one in the same. Please do not remove your code.

Do you have a canonical meta tag on your site listing the www version of your website? Are you viewing a custom Analytics report that is not set up properly? Date range correct? There has to be mismatch somewhere. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have no canonical meta tag on my site listing the www version that I see unless Google put one somewhere.( see P below)
No redirects exist on my domain server. both versions directly access my site.

Note: prior to Google accessing my site's server ( through a Goggle screen with my PW) to set up Search Counsel tracking.( which finally worked after this but then had issue with GA not showing all users.) My non WWW versions was showing 301 moved to my WWW version at my DNS zone level. After Google accessed my site this was no longer the case. It changed something now as I mentioned above both versions directly access my site, no 301s or redirects.
This might be some insight. Help!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Speed R
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Speed R,

Google will not add a canonical meta tag, but this is something you should do. Google actually does not make any changes to web code, none, as the only they are doing is tracking metrics. Your reporting may be different since linking but nothing with your website or server is different. There is absolutely no way it can be.

Take a look at this meta tag. This should be added to your coding, where other meta tags are.

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.yoursite.com/index.htm"/>

Replace the full address (part in red) for yours and do this for each page of your website. Then set up a 301 redirect for the non-www version to your www version. You need to consolidate all traffic to the www version.   

Kind Regards,

James

Users only show up in GA if from a search, Over seas users dont show up

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks James I will give it a try