Analytics
3.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Users and bounced sessions segmentation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Question about metrics here: 

GA has a segment called bounced sessions. If I create a custom report where the only metric is Users (formerly unique visitors) and I segment to bounced sessions. Are those users who are in the bounced sessions segment users who ONLY bounced or would those users in the bounced sessions segment be users who bounced at least once during any of their visits to the site? 

Meaning if someone came to my site, visited a bunch of pages (i.e. did not bounce), and then later returned and bounced, would that users be counted in the bounced sessions segment? Or, since during their first visit they did not bounce, would they not be counted in the bounced sessions segment? 

Basically I'm unclear on the relationship between sessions & users in segmented reports where one user has multiple sessions. I hope this is clear, let me know if you need any other info to answer the questions. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Josh A
November 2015

Re: Users and bounced sessions segmentation.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Josh,

If the user bounces in their new session the new session will be counted in the bounced session segment and it will be associated with the user. So from your post users in the bounced sessions segment will be users who bounced at least once during any of their visits to the site.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Users and bounced sessions segmentation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much! Perfect answer!