Analytics
5.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Users Flow disagrees with everything else

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently began working at an organization that relies heavily on Google Analytics. As I was exploring it, I noticed that User Flow disagrees with all other reports. In particular, it claims that the only page anyone visits is "index.cfm." (I have attached a screen shot below.) Technically, this is true, as it's a Cold Fusion site and pretty much every URL starts that way. But the other reports have no trouble distinguishing between pages. For example, as shown below, the Engagement -> Page Depth report shows something very different, and the Behavior Flow breaks traffic down by page category.

How can I troubleshoot this discordant behavior on the Users Flow page? Is there a known quick fix?

Also, as an aside, you can see that Behavior Flow shows the start page for many pages as "(not set)." What might be causing this? How can I troubleshoot it?The "Users Flow" claims that all visitors look at "index.cfm" and then leave.The "Users Flow" claims that all visitors look at "index.cfm" and then leave.The "Behavior Flow" distinguishes between our pages.The "Behavior Flow" distinguishes between our pages.The page view report sees that users may visit multiple pages.The page view report sees that users may visit multiple pages.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Users Flow disagrees with everything else

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
HI David,

A couple of things.

1. The Flow reports are subject to sampling.
2. The green nodes reporesent a page or pages. If you click into the node and select group detail, you may see that there are more pages included.

If you want to analyze a particular page, click any node and select "explore traffic through here" and then click the pencil icon and enter the page you want to analyze.

In the behavior flow report, you have a page group of "Main Pages:" selected and the largest node is nor in the main pages group so it is "not set".

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

Thank you. Actually, my question was a little different. The issue is that all of our URLs start "index.cfm," and in the user flow, they all show up as the same page, but on all other views they show up as different pages. I want to know how to force the user flow to see that these are not all the same.

Thank you,
David
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David B
May 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey David,

Not sure if we're going to make progress here. User flow draws the report as it interprets the data. In your screenshot, while most traffic is collected in the first node that shows index.cfm, there may in fact be other pages in that node that start with index.cfm. To see, you'll need to click on it and select group details.

If you want to force it to only use index.cfm (or any other page) you'll need to click a node, select explore traffic through here then you will need to click the pencil icon to define your node - this is how you can force the flow report to give you exactly what you want.

Lastly, while I have not seen it documented anywhere but in my experience, if you set a default page for your view e.g. index.cfm, that usually makes the user flow report behave differently and it will then only include the home page (index.cfm) in the primary node and will break out your other pages. You can copy your analysis view from the view settings and test this or do it in a testing view (which you should have.)

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn