Analytics
5.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Users Flow Report Misses Out Pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

My website is Interrail Planner. It is a website application for planning a European trip. Before coming to the main planning page, our users click through a series of pages and provide us with some information.

An example flow is as follows, and you can see this for yourself if you go to the website and click 'Plan your trip!':

interrailplanner.com

interrailplanner.com/plan/pass-type

interrailplanner.com/plan/global-pass-length

interrailplanner.com/plan/trip-details

interrailplanner.com/plan/calendar

There are a few variations, but unfortunately, hardly any user flows that resemble this are being captured by Google Analytics.

We know that this should be the most common user flow, as users don't sign up until after /plan/calendar, and we have had way more sign-ups than GA says have gone through a similar-looking flow.

I went on the website and used the live reporting on GA simultaneously, to see how I was tracked, and basically, GA seems to stop tracking it after /pass/pass-type.

Does anyone know why this might be? It's quite frustrating as I can't work out if anyone is dropping off during the onboarding pages.

I would appreciate any ideas!

Jack

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack C
May 2016

Re: Users Flow Report Misses Out Pages

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hey Jack,

I went through your site and followed your directions. The code isn't firing a new collect tag to send details of the pageview to the analytics account from interrailplanner.com/plan/global-pass-length onward. This may be happening as you've implemented a URL change without a page reload. This is stopping the code from firing. Your webmaster should be able to change this.

How can you check this? Open interrailplanner.com in chrome, open developer tools(https://developer.chrome.com/devtools). Click on "Network", then filter for "collect". Follow the same pages you prescribed above. When you reach interrailplanner.com/plan/global-pass-length , click on the second collect tag and scroll down under "Headers". Under Query String parameters, you'll see "dl:" still reads interrailplanner.com/plan/pass-type , rather than the updated page URL.

Cheers!

Re: Users Flow Report Misses Out Pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it and will talk to the development team.