Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

User totals 50% higher than expected; why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good afternoon,

For the last two months, (April & May), my site has seen a 20% increase  (Mar -> Apr) and a 10% increase (Apr - > May) in users which based on historical trends, is much, much higher than normal. 

My first thought was to look at pageviews; they were down in April compared to March, but up in May compared to April. Then I looked at Source/Medium, where there were consecutive increases in sessions coming from (not set); is that a potential red flag?

What are some steps to determine, if it's even possible to determine, what might be causing these increases? At what point do you take the numbers at face value? (Another reason I believe something is off: our numbers in comScore are staying relatively steady but are increasing in GA).

Thanks!

Re: User totals 50% higher than expected; why?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jake,
go to this report:
Audience -> Technology ->Network
and select hostname as primary dimension
if here you see hostname different from you domain that mean that you are affected from spam session.

if this is the case
To reduce or near remove them, create a filter on your GA view where you include only your domain.

Fil

Re: User totals 50% higher than expected; why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Fil!

I see a bit of traffic coming from outside of my domain; less than 4%. If this was the culprit, would I be seeing much more than 4%?