Analytics
3.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

User retention. Mobile Vs Desktop

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm working on a hypothesis for a client that a user that first finds their website on a mobile devise are less likely to return than users who first discover their website on a desktop. The return visit can be on a different devise than the initial discovery visit (Mobile >>> Desktop is okay).

I'm aware of cohort reporting, but I'm not convinced that this accurately provides the information i'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Re: User retention. Mobile Vs Desktop

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Darren,

Could you explain why you don't think the cohort report works or what information is missing from your perspective?

Thanks

Marko

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Marko,

Because i'm not sure that it takes into account visitors that return on a non-mobile devise.

In other words, I just want to find out the probability of a user returning (on any devise), who originally discovered a website on a mobile devise.

Thanks,
Darren

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Darren,
There're two ways in GA from my perspective. But both require that you should have a User-ID system in place. (In other words, a sign-in system on your site, User-ID enabled property and a User-ID view set up in GA).

Firstly, Audience > Cross Device > Acquisition Device report may be what you're looking for.
It shows the conversion per user for different originating device, which is usually the final goal of analyzing retention.
You can see a sample report here:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3123672
If you can't see cross device report, check this article
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3234673?hl=en

I only recommend the second way when you're specially interested in user retention. You still use cohort report but need to create segments based on different originating device.

Best,
Marko