Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

User report - strange pattern

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have seen this a few times now.

A user visits every day (e.g. for 10 days in a row) the same URL on his mobile device and does not do anything else.

This does not seem like a normal behaviour and I think of other reasons.

Could it be, that he has the tab still open in his browser and every time he uses the browser, the tab reloads and GA logs a pave view, even though he does not uses the tab?

I have also seen this behaviour on desktop browsers. E.g. a client ID visits a few days in a row the same 3 specific pages. This seems strange to me.

Thanks for your help!

Best,Ben

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Benedikt H
August 2016

Re: User report - strange pattern

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hey Ben,

There's no way to change past data in Universal Analytics. I would recommend you expand your 'sessions' to their maximum length. Even then it may not be enough since the maximum session length is 4 hours.

Instead i recommend you create a custom segment and/or a filter (not for your all data view though) that removes these types of sessions.

Let me know if that helps! Smiley Happy
- Josh
Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ben,

It looks like your Users are timing out on their 'session' so that when they return it opens a new session. A similar effect could happen if someone has their tab open and the tab/browser reloads it could reactive and refresh the session.

To remedy this I would recommend that you expand the session time in Analytics, you can do this by doing the following:
- Navigate to a property. If you're not in the settings menu, click Admin. Select the account and property you want to edit.
- From the property column, click Tracking Info then Session Settings.
- Under Timeout Handling, use the controls to set Session timeout and Campaign timeout.
- Click Apply.

You can find more information here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795871?hl=en
Joshua, Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the info!

Will the changes influence the data in the past, or "only" future data?

What session time would you advice for a website with alot of content (we write articles about financial advice for private households).

Thanks!
Best, Ben
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Benedikt H
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hey Ben,

There's no way to change past data in Universal Analytics. I would recommend you expand your 'sessions' to their maximum length. Even then it may not be enough since the maximum session length is 4 hours.

Instead i recommend you create a custom segment and/or a filter (not for your all data view though) that removes these types of sessions.

Let me know if that helps! Smiley Happy
- Josh
Joshua, Top Contributor