Analytics
3.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

User counts by hour

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When attempting to view user counts per hour from previous days, all counts are returning as 1. When viewing the same report for today, it gives actual numbers of users on each hour. This occurred yesterday as well, meaning that it's only correct for the current day. Can someone please help me figure out why this is? It's affecting all of our reports derived from User-ID-enabled properties.

Today's
2017-02-21 10_50_24-New Custom Report - Analytics.jpg

Yesterday's

2017-02-21 10_51_05-New Custom Report - Analytics.jpg

If you look closer at yesterday's, you'll also notice that it lists there being 22 users over the course of the day, but there are only 19 listed.

2017-02-21 11_01_28-New Custom Report - Analytics.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brandon G
March 2017

User counts by hour

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

I also noticed some reporting oddness with Users metric. Note that Google did change some of the way it reports these numbers in early 2017, so they did change something recently. I saw these problems in both the web interface and the API, so it wasn't just because of the new interface or browser caching.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2992042

The problems have disappeared for me in the past week...

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

User counts by hour

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

What happens when you look at the Audience > User Explorer report?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: User counts by hour

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Mike S It shows each user that accessed the application and an accurate number of sessions.

2/20 Audience > User Explorer: 22 Users, 22 rows of data (1 ea)

2017-02-22 07_48_21-Photos.jpg22 Users total

2/20 Hourly Report: 22 User count, but only 19 rows of 1-count data
2017-02-22 07_47_24-New Custom Report - Analytics.jpg19 Users would be exported to my report, which is incorrect

User counts by hour

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is still happening and driving me nuts. I've entered an issue on the Issue Tracker, but it has yet to be acknowledged here: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/35660220

Is or Has anyone else experienced this issue? 

User counts by hour

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Replied to your other thread but having the same issue, though mine isn't limited to hour reports but anywhere that User counts are done. No solutions from my side unfortunately, will update if I do find a reason or fix

User counts by hour

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great, thanks for confirming this. I've noticed it's wrong in other places as well, but that it's usually only the row counts; the totals still look okay until you export them. Is this the same for you, @Wez M?

User counts by hour

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yup, totals are as expected by the rowcounts are 1, regardless. 

Created a new view yesterday to see if that fixed it but today the same thing occurs on both views. Can only assume it's on google's end

User counts by hour

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I do have a same problem for two weeks now.  I thought it will be fixed soon but it remains and I couldn't get any solution.

User counts by hour

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, has anyone had any progress with this? 

I created a new property in case it was settings but after a couple of days I was getting the same issue. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brandon G
March 2017

User counts by hour

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

I also noticed some reporting oddness with Users metric. Note that Google did change some of the way it reports these numbers in early 2017, so they did change something recently. I saw these problems in both the web interface and the API, so it wasn't just because of the new interface or browser caching.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2992042

The problems have disappeared for me in the past week...