Analytics
2.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

User count for a given month varies when looking at one month or comparing same month to another

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have several web sites that fall under one Property.  I have multiple views and filters set up to create individual views per property, a "master/roll-up"view, and a raw/unfiltered view.

For the most part everything seems to work fine in individual views.  We found a strange, and very concerning problem the other day...

We have a News dashboard for Website P with some basic web stats.  One of the widgets on this dashboard reports on "Users" for the /news/ directory on Website P.  So the widget is set up to report on the metric: users with a filter to only show dimension: page matching regex /news/.

Running this dashboard for March 2017, the Users for News widget shows 4279 users.  Running the dashboard for March 2017 compared to February 2017, March now shows 1235 users.  Running the dashboard comparing March 2017 to April 2017, March now shows 4638 users.  

I also set up a custom report looking at Users, Unique Pageviews, and Pageviews for the same /news/ directory under Page , regex and found similar discrepancies in all 3 metrics.

I expanded this test to more of my sites / views and found similar results.

Any thoughts, help, guidance is greatly appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user

User count for a given month varies when looking at one month or comparing same month to another

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

With a non-Google Analytics 360 account, the sampling threshold is determined by the Property level, not the view. Chances are that all of your reports are heavily sampled. One telltale is that low numbers tend to be identical or multiples (like a whole bunch of 11's, and 22's).

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.