Analytics
6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

User Scope Custom Dimensions: count unique by user question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I'm trying to set up a user flag when he/she visits a specific page. I want this flag to persists when that user acts upon a metric. (similar to an eVar in Adobe Analytics)

I have a custom dimension set as a user scope. The CD is set on a specific page, therefore set upon a successful page load. 

According to the implementation above, what will happen on a user metric level if that user comes back to the page? Will the user be counted multiple times or only once when I pull the custom dimension report based on the "users" metric

Ideally I would want the user to be counted once on a user level if he/she goes back to the page several times.

Thanks!!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael C
July 2016

Re: User Scope Custom Dimensions: count unique by user question

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
As Brian said, the user count for this custom dimension should be one for each browser used unless you're using the user-ID after some type of login.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Michael I believe User counts are unique so the user should only be counted once the pageview will be counted twice, your Custom Dimension is not a metric so it wont get a count at all.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael C
July 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
As Brian said, the user count for this custom dimension should be one for each browser used unless you're using the user-ID after some type of login.