AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

User Overview data discrepancies

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've encountered a problem on my Analytics account. We're running it on our application, and when looking at Users Overview with Total Users data, it shows around 700,000 users (first image).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oyi1s8zr5edu60/Image%201.png?dl=0

However, whenever I add another segment, such as country segment (second image) it entirely changed the total number of users.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0zw58i99tdy9f3/Image%202.png?dl=0

Furthermore, the pattern of use of the app changes entirely as well. On the first image we can see that there is less use during the weekends, whilst on the second it is the opposite case. I have tried with different dates as well and with further data detail, and the problem prevails.

I would really be thankful for some input / ideas.

Cheers,

Miguel Borges

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Miguel B
December 2015

Re: User Overview data discrepancies

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yup -- sampled data 0.34% of total sessions represented, which is a tiny sample. Because of the spread in the results, when they expand from the sample, they apply it to a smoothed curve, which drops all detail from the trend data. You can't trust that report at all.

Shorten the time scale and look at shorter time periods to increase the sample rate, possibly down as fine as a day, or invest in GA Premium to get the ability to run some unsampled reports.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Your second image link does not work, but...
With the volume of data you have the segmented report will be heavily sampled, and sampling tends to flatten out the trend curves over time and will influence the Users metric.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike S,

Thank you for your reply. I had posted the wrong link, it has now been updated.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Miguel B
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yup -- sampled data 0.34% of total sessions represented, which is a tiny sample. Because of the spread in the results, when they expand from the sample, they apply it to a smoothed curve, which drops all detail from the trend data. You can't trust that report at all.

Shorten the time scale and look at shorter time periods to increase the sample rate, possibly down as fine as a day, or invest in GA Premium to get the ability to run some unsampled reports.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot Mike.

User Overview data discrepancies

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

Can you please answer this?

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Filters/User-Overview-data-discrepancies/...

I couldn't figure it out the reason for this behaviour.

Thanks in Advance