Analytics
5.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

User Explorer Update August 2016 - How do Google count sessions in User Explorer report???

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I did notice there are some changes in User Explorer report. Instead of showing page by page a client visited on the site, it now shows in groups of Organic/Direct like in the image below:

new user explorer displayWhen expanding the groups, it looks like this:

expanding

My question is: how does google count sessions here? from 9:27 to 9:29 it takes only 2 minutes, why google counted it as 2 different sessions. My session setting is set at 30 minute each.

Please explain this for me if anyone knows. Thank you and sorry for my English.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: User Explorer Update August 2016 - How do Google count sessions in User Explorer report???

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Sara,

There are two possibilities here:

1. The user actually ended the sessions as depicted and then began a new session.
2. You have some tracking issues.

To explain number two; if I come to your site via any medium and then that medium changes while on site, then a new session begins. I see this a lot with redirects, UTM tagging to internal site links (which should not be done) pages without GA coding, etc.

If this is a common pattern, then I would suspect you have tagging issues. Use Tag Assistant for Chrome to help you troubleshoot if you suspect same.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: User Explorer Update August 2016 - How do Google count sessions in User Explorer report???

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

I've checked it again and found that this happens to visitors with transactions only. I'm using third-party shopping cart (1shoppingcart). So I noticed that, if a session includes visiting third-party carts, that session is considered "Direct".
That's why there are up to 4 sessions in the images I posted above (actually it should be 2 sessions only).

There are no session problems with visitors who just browsed my site without reaching the third-party shopping carts (without purchasing), so I guess the shopping cart links cause the problem, but still do not know how to fix this.

Please kindly tell me if you have any other ideas.

Thank you,
Sara