Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

User Count

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So I have been having difficulty figuring out the user count for selection of pages. The pages I want the user count to refer to start with /news. I have a property for this set of pages, but when I go month-by-month from January through November on the Audience > Overview to see the users, I get a collection of numbers that doesn't equal the total number of users if I change the date range to include the January through November.

My user count going by month-to-month equals 104,442. If I just it to go January-November, I get a user count of 39,698. I have nothing changed settings-wise between these two reports. Just the date change.

Any ideas?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scott B
December 2015

Re: User Count

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Users are measured as UNIQUE users in the time period measured. If users return, they are counted only once over the entire period, but would appear in multiple days/weeks/months depending on when they returned. Adding the individual time periods will result in duplicate counting.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, Mike! That makes total sense. I feel a little dumb for not thinking of that... I have a client who wants to see it month-by-month, but also wants a yearly total. I will have to inform them of the difference!

Thanks again for the clarity!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually, you shouldn't feel dumb Scott. I don't think this is obvious at all... there are many similar questions here from different users. I'd love to see a 'more info' roll over or another FYI when Google reports stuff differently. Now I get it... but it took time to research.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Mike! I'm having somewhat similar issue:

I'm looking at an unsampled Acquisition report showing New users and Users side by side. For some reason, Google Analytics reports more New users than Users over that period (~year). Why is this? If I've understood correctly, New users over that period should be calculated within the total Users metric, right?

Additionally, if I export (XLSX) the report, I end up with completely different number for Users. Why is this?

I haven't been able to find any information about this issue, so all help would be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Simo

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Simo, First of all, clarify the metrics you are looking at -- are they Sessions and New Users? Sessions is NOT the same as Users, and the Acquisition report does NOT show Users by default.

Are you using any segments or filters on your report?
Are you using a filtered view?
Although it does not say it is sampled, what is the total session count for the reporting period?
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike, thanks for a fast reply!

Here are answers to your questions:

• No, I'm not looking at Sessions and New users. I'm in "Acquisition -> New users" report looking at New users and Users side by side. Hmm, it seems I omitted the fact that this is App analytics (not Web).
  • I've segmented "Mobile and tablet" traffic to filter out hits from our developers and other browser test usage (= desktop).
  • There are some spam filters in place, filtering out the awkward spam events that took place last summer.
  • Total sessions 290,024 (286,637 for the "Mobile and tablet" segment), session control for sampling configured all the way to the right ("Higher precision").

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Simo

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Unfortunately the App analytics differences are something I have never looked into... I have no insights to offer up at this point.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, that's a shame. I already thought my issues were about to be fixed! If this had been a Web property, what would've been your first suggestions for fixes?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Don't know how Users are tracked in apps. I the web, it would have been showing sessions, and sessions are tracked with a count on the first hit of the session -- that usually creates a problem when mixed with other dimensions like page.