Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Uploading CRM data via data import - back population?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I'm trying to upload a simple .csv file with two custom dimensions - CRM ID as a key, and Group ID as an imported data. 

I have seen that the documentation has changed, so now it will also perform back population on users that visited the site in the last 10 days (instead of the previous option, where a user had to return the site after data upload so it would update):

You can use Query Time Data Import to pull in customer value data like churn propensity, customer value, lifetime purchases, and so on, to build GDN, DBM, DFP, RLSA, and Optimize audience lists for remarketing. These lists are also ideal for generating Similar Audiences, e.g., similar audiences for "Platinum Card Users".

Google Analytics' query-time dimension widening (QTDW) allows you to import data after a user visits your site. QTDW will also back-populate audience lists when a new Query Time Data Import dataset is uploaded, attempting to look back at DCLK (or Google Analytics in case of Optimize) cookies for the last 10 days.

(https://developers.google.com/analytics/solutions/crm-integration)

However, I didn't manage to make it work. 

• Does it available only for 360 analytics users?
  • Do you have any tips how to debug it?

Thanks! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Hadar, 

#1 Importing data from your CRM to your Google Analytics account is not limited to 360 users. 

#2 When one uploads a file to Analytics they should either get 1 of 3 options (a) Pending (b) Success (c) Failure. 

You can see the status in the Manage Uploads page. 

Source: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6015078?hl=en&ref_topic=6064627

Why don't you check this first and see how it goes! 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joshua, 

Thanks for the response!

I did some tests and it looks like the Group ID (my imported data) is updated in the reports only if the user visits the site again (after the data upload), even if the user visited the site in the 10 days prior to the data upload.

From the documentation, I thought it will update the data to all the users that visited the site in the last 10 days. 

Is this option is limited for 360 users?

If so, I'll be happy if someone understands the change that GA did in the documentation. 

Before the change:

"Note that you cannot backfill a remarketing list based on a data import of user data. For example, suppose the remarketing list rule is "Include users where Lifetime Value Group = Platinum". If Platinum user 124 visited a website before the data import file had been uploaded, that original visit and the user would not be included in the remarketing list. To be put onto the remarketing list, user 124 would have to return to the site after the data upload because the value "Lifetime Value Group = Platinum" can be applied to the user only after the data import file has been uploaded. See also the limits of query time data import Link: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6071511#limits."

After the change:

"Google Analytics' query-time dimension widening (QTDW) allows you to import data after a user visits your site. QTDW will also back-populate audience lists when a new Query Time Data Import dataset is uploaded, attempting to look back at DCLK (or Google Analytics in case of Optimize) cookies for the last 10 days. For more information, see Enable Remarketing and Advertising Reporting Features in Analytics Link: //support.google.com/analytics/answer/2444872"

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Hadar,

Check out gapidu.com which automates this process of onboarding your CRM data over to Google Analytics without any coding or complicated integrations. You simply insert a javascript to your website, pick the CRM fields you want to sync and the engine will automatically push any new/updated data from your CRM every 6 hours.

Yanir