Analytics
2.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Unqualified Facebook Traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had a Facebook Advertising campaign running in 2016 with UTM parameters added so I could track metrics in Google Analytics.  The FB campaign ended on December 31, 2016, but Google Anlaytics is showing 300+ visits from the UTM tracking codes (date range 1/1/17-present).  Any idea why?  I'm not seeing any activity from Facebook's reporting portal.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Some of them may be clicking on cached ads or urls they have been bookmarked with the utm parameters attached.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That (300+) seems like a lot to be a cookie issue...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I agree, and I am unfamiliar with fb advertising,

however you will find at least some will be due to that.

Have you looked at the reports to see if any of it has anything in common such as device type, geo location, 

eg might be something particular to just mobile traffic for instance 

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Great discussion!

My 2¢ - What's the percentage of returning users? I guess you're seeing this traffic in GA just because of the last non-direct click attribution model. Campaign timeout is 6 months by default in GA. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Taavi