Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Unique Views vs Sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to report on the % of sessions which visit a certain area of our website, and I'm getting different numbers depending on the metrics I look at:

- If I create a segment with 'sessions include content group 1 matching X' then I get 951 sessions.

- If I look at the page report -> content group 1 > unique views 1 then I get 914.

Can you guys explain the difference between these 2 and let me know what I should use?

Thanks,

Mirissa

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unique Views vs Sessions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
a single user can create multiple sessions so there are more sessions than unique views.
does that make sense?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sure but my segment is at session level and not user level, so that shouldn't matter.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
i must be misunderstanding
- If I look at the page report -> content group 1 > unique views 1 then I get 914.
i read as saying you were looking there at 'unique views' not sessions? and the one above was sessions.
if have already cut down to sessions and then looking at unique views within the context of sessions then is that not giving you unique sessions as opposed to option 1 which is not limited to unique.

maybe if you can give some more detail or frame it in another way i or someone else can try again to help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well, maybe this is where I'm going wrong but the definition for Unique Views implies it's also a session metric: "The Unique Views count for a given content group represents the number of sessions in which a page in that group was viewed one or more times". Right?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
We may be having an issue based on definitions agreed - to clarify:
Session = how many overall 'visits' to a site there were including multiple visits from same person (visit as defined by google that's why they renamed it as a session)
Unique View = Users that have had at least one session within the selected date range. Includes both new and returning users.

So if i visit a site (say a page in your content group) a single time in a day then i will be one session and one unique view
BUT if i come to this page (in your content group) morning, noon and night i will be 3 sessions and still one unique view (as long as i am using same browser without clearing cookies etc.

hope that helps define thee issue?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But then by your definition, if I change my segment to user-level then the number of users and the unique views should match? But they don't.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Mirissa I believe you are trying to get data from different scopes.

I found this information when researching your issue:
‘user type’ and ‘users’ is a valid dimension-metric combination because both the dimension and metric have got the same user level scope.

‘source’ and ‘users’ is an invalid dimension-metric combination because both the dimension and metric have got different scope. The dimension ‘source’ has got session level scope whereas the metric ‘users’ has got user level scope.

Similarly, ‘page’ and ‘users’ is an invalid dimension-metric combination because the dimension ‘page’ has got hit level scope whereas the metric ‘users’ has got user level scope.

You can get a complete list of valid dimension-metric combinations from https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/dimsmets:

Check out the complete list and see if your mixing your scopes.