Analytics
5.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Unexplained drop in sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi- I am looking for possible explanations for a sudden drop in the number of sessions recorded in Analytics for our website. In May 2015, the number of sessions dropped significantly for the first time in years and has never gone back to previous numbers. There is no obvious explanation for this. We re-designed the website not long after this time- would this be a factor in the changed numbers? Would the numbers of sessions be recorded differently on a new website compared to the old website?

Thanks in advance. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unexplained drop in sessions

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Louise,

Try the following:

#1 Double check your implimentation of the Universal Analytics code. An easy way to do this is to use the Google Tag Assistant.
#2 Go into your Google Web Master account and take a look at Search Traffic -> Search Analytics and see if there's been a sudden drop in your organic searches. You may have dropped for certain primary keywords you were previously ranking for. Also consider looking at Search traffic -> Manual Actions to see if you've been penalized manually by Google staff for some reason.
#3 Go into Universal Analytics and take a look at where the sudden drop in sessions originates from. What "source" or "channel" could it be because of paid campaigns your running or perhaps organic efforts?

Lastly sometimes it is possible for any of a thousand reasons to lose traffic, whether its because of the season, trends or word of mouth - anything can happen.

Let me know if this helps!
- Josh
Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’