Analytics
4.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Unexpected user flow group-drill-down behavior in Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a question about Analytics > Audience > Users flow.

At each level of the users flow, the users are sorted into groups by URL taxonomy (it seems). Each group is full of .html pages, but it appears that some more popular .html pages have their own group.

I want to use the "Explore traffic through here" feature on different groups. However, I'm finding unexpected behavior when I try to use that feature on some groups.

When I try to explore traffic through the groups with several .html pages, I'm taken to a new page, but the new user flow through that one group shows 100% drop off and 100% new entrances, but this is obviously wrong. The whole userflow view shows traffic into and out of that group with other pages in my site. I also can't Explore Traffic via the group details list of pages, so I can't isolate pages that way.

Unexpected behavior screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/DfsKAHu.jpg

When I try to explore traffic through the "group" of one html page, the user flow seems accurate and shows steps -1 and 1 with several other referring and exit pages surrounding that html page - this is the expected behavior.

Expected behavior screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/3YxhwlJ.jpg

Is this a bug? User error? Any tips on how I can examine the User Flow through larger groups of pages? Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Evan M
June 2016

Re: Unexpected user flow group-drill-down behavior in Analytics

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Evan,

After you select explore traffic through here you can click on the pencil icon to define the node with any page or group of pages. 

That's the best way to get insights into this report.   If you don't have too much sampling you can look to layer in segments as well.

Edit:

I wanted to include some screenshots for you but unfortunately there is a problem with the forum. Smiley Sad

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Huh, that's a huge help thanks. It seems that the match criteria behind the pencil icon is auto-generated in my one .html page case, but not otherwise. I can't say that's intuitive, but it works! Thanks again.

Edit: Maybe it's just not handling the top level domain very well - many other groups I don't care about as much are working, but it seems like using the pencil icon to edit is a scalable solution.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Good, glad that helped. Smiley Happy

The thing about the nodes in the initial drawing of the report is that they can be a page or pages e.g. /products/ may be shown but the details of the node could show the entire subdirectory. The nice thing about defining the node after "Explore.. through here" is that you can just grab any node (rather than hunting for one) and then redefine it any way that you like.

Happy Analyzing!

Theo
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn