Analytics
3.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Unexpected number of visitors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone! I just built my first ever website using Wordpress and setup a google analytics account to track traffic. My website is still at the extremely preliminary stages and, as a result, I wasn't  expecting much traffic as of yet (but perhaps for some mistaken visits).

I recently went into my google analytics account and to my great surprise, the website has received a few hundred visits. Would anyone be able to explain how/why my website has received 47 separate visits from Lynchburg, USA all lasting under a second? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unexpected number of visitors

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Aliamo H :-)

It is likely spam data, this is a known issue with Google Analytics (and a number of other tracking services too)
I would strongly recommend that you create a new View (and apply filters to the new View only) to help combat this
type of data corrupting your report.
The following article is pretty indepth about explaining how the issue occurs and how to create the necessary filters to stop
the data in your reports
,http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

If you need further help with this pls post back

Thanks
Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Unexpected number of visitors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks very much for the advice! 😀 I won't hesitate to follow up if I have any further questions..