Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Unexpected data shown in the reprots

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am now testing google analytics to use in my mobile application. 

I create 2 analytic properties for 2 different applications. One is google analytic sample code and another is my mobile application. 
And put the created google analytics configuration in each application. I use the default view(not yet created master and test view) to see the data. 

In the report i saw the unexpected data(which may be wrong or some other reasons?). 

In my mobile application, only one screen view data is sent to the analytics. The location is in Taiwan and i deployed my application to the 2 android devices.  I have been shared my code to others. 
But in the report, i saw another Macintosh Intel 10.10 in the device list and also another location is in England and unexpected 45 sessions without any screen views. According to my testing, without sending data, google analytic will not auto send data to the analytics account. So every session should have screen data.  Is my understanding wrong? 

Also the network provider is not correct. why these operators appear in my report except taipei taiwan. 
ScreenHunter_71 Aug. 17 13.49.jpgScreenHunter_70 Aug. 17 13.45.jpgScreenHunter_68 Aug. 17 13.42.jpgScreenHunter_69 Aug. 17 13.44.jpgScreenHunter_67 Aug. 17 13.40.jpgScreenHunter_66 Aug. 17 13.39.jpg

The campaign source/medium is not as i expected. 45 new users came from the google/organic. But i only test for campaign with test_source/test_medium.

I look at the google analytic fundamental tutorial video, but none of the video mentioned about this. I don't know why these data appear in my report? 

If some one can help me, i do appreciate. Thanks a lot.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author lishan wang
August 2016

Re: Unexpected data shown in the reprots

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
It can be spam/ghost traffic.

https://moz.com/blog/stop-ghost-spam-in-google-analytics-with-one-filter

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/03/19/eliminating-dumb-ghost-referral-traffic/
from comments in above link:

I actually used the same approach on a mobile application tracking and just passed a random string with a custom dimension (well, no possibility for cookies there) with every hit, made the custom dimension user level, and applied an include filter. So, if I just pass a random string, do you see that this approach stresses the system more than the cookie approach? Because setting that up is very easy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
After reading the suggested links , it is to add the filter that have valid hostnames (that is for website) to filter out ghost referral and other ghost traffic. But mine is mobile app, does it mean that i need to record every screen view and use as filter for ghost traffic? If there is no screens name, then filter out? Is there any other good way to do?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
for M app, you can pass in a custom dimension as suggested above and use that method.